© Victor Reinhardt
Follow us on
is a member of
Kentwood Kids Auditions
Kentwood Players Children’s Theatre Program
Auditions for Mr. Potcher’s Holiday
on Saturday, October 5
and Sunday, October 6, 2013
at the Westchester Playhouse
Kentwood Players is delighted to announce auditions for our next Kentwood Kids Production,
Mr. Potcher’s Holiday,
a family musical comedy, book and lyrics by Bob Silberg, music by Barbara Klaskin Silberg, to be directed by Drew Fitzsimmons and Melodie S. Rivers.
Auditions will be held on Saturday, October 5 from 10:00am to 2:00pm and Sunday, October 6 from 9:00am
to 12:00 noon
at the Westchester Playhouse, located two blocks west of the San Diego Freeway and two blocks north of Manchester at 8301 Hindry Avenue in Westchester, CA 90045.
Please try to attend on the first day of auditions. The second day is inflexible; there is a 2:00 matinee on that day.
Auditions are open to adults and to children ages 6-16 years old and will consist of cold-readings from the script and singing a song of your choice.
Please bring sheet music and 16 bars of a song prepared. You will be asked to learn a short dance routine, so arrive prepared to move.
No sandals or flip-flops please. Come ready to have fun and please bring your schedule and a photo of yourself to auditions.
Rehearsals will be Monday through Thursday from 6:30pm to 8:30pm with rehearsals on Saturdays and Sundays as well.
Not everyone will be needed at every rehearsal and the schedule will be based on cast availability.
The musical tells the story of Mr. Potcher, a school consultant, who eliminates all extracurricular activities.
When a young student named Darcy tries to persuade him to reinstate these activities, he not only remains unconvinced,
he decides to also do away with all the holidays--actually eliminate them from existence.
The iconic holiday characters (Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Cupid, Leprechaun, a Jack o'lantern and a Thanksgiving turkey)
conspire with Darcy to change Mr. Potcher's mind!
Performances will take place on Saturdays, November 30, December 7 and 14 at 11:00am and 2:00pm at the Westchester Playhouse.
For additional information or to get a copy of the script prior to auditions, please
send an email to
All roles are open as long as actor, child or adult, can meet vocal and acting requirements. All children's music is written in the key of C or F.
- Miss Teaford
- ADULT - supportive and loving Theater Arts and English teacher
- Miss Snood
- ADULT – Cafeteria lady – strong alto, strong belt, bustling, loves her job
- must sing, sympathetic character
- Zimmer’s sister and Darcy’s friend, sensible
- Student Body President – must sing, dresses in preppy clothes, looks proper
- Debate Team Captain – sultry blues voice, ballet dancer would be nice, must have excellent posture, kind of nerdy
- Cheerleader – must dance with precision
- Cheerleader – must dance with precision
- Mr. Potcher
- ADULT – School Consultant – baritone, gruff, sinister, extremely neat
- ADULT (also plays Santa) – accustomed to being bigger than everyone else
- Shalena's brother and Darcy's friend
- Theater Arts Club Leader
- Chloe's political advisor – Must banter quickly and clearly with Jake
- Chloe's political advisor – Must banter quickly and clearly with Will
- Football Team Captain – must sing, classic jock
DREAM AND FANTASY CHARACTERS
- ADULT (also plays Coach) - bass singer, loves his job
- realist, excellent comedic timing
- tenor, Irish accent, harmony, average to tall height
- Easter Bunny
- lyric soprano, female
- baritone singer
- Thanksgiving Turkey
- non-speaking part, good physicality, good turkey impersonation
- Children’s Day Guy
- singer, laid back "dude" ("laid back" does not mean low energy)
CHORUS (male and female)
- Fantasy Orchestra Conductor
- Mona Lisa
- Students who attend the school
- will sing and dance
To meet the Mr. Potcher’s Holiday production team and learn more about Kentwood Players and what goes on at the Westchester Playhouse, the public is invited to attend our general membership meetings, which are free and held on the third Wednesday of each month at
7:30pm at the Westchester Playhouse located two blocks west of the San Diego Freeway and two blocks north of Manchester at 8301 Hindry Avenue in Westchester, CA 90045.