© Victor Reinhardt
Follow us on
is a member of
announces auditions for
An Ideal Husband
Auditions for An Ideal Husband
on Saturday, November 15
and Sunday, November 16, 2014
at the Westchester Playhouse
Kentwood Players will hold open auditions for An Ideal Husband,
by Oscar Wilde on Saturday, November 15, 2014 from 12-3pm and on Sunday, November 16 from 6-9pm. Callbacks will be held on Monday, November 17 from 7:30-10pm. Auditions and performances take place at the Westchester Playhouse, located at 8301 Hindry Avenue, Westchester, CA 90045.
Performance dates are January 9 to February 14, 2015 with performances on Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays at 2pm. This is a non-equity, non-paid production directed by Samantha Barrios, produced by Melodie S. Rivers and Terry Delegeane.
Scandal! Blackmail! Corruption! Oscar Wilde’s An Ideal Husband is a scathing satire of the British aristocracy filled to the brim with temptations, betrayals and secret liaisons. Sir Robert Chiltern, a brilliant politician and perfect gentleman, can do no wrong in the eyes of his charming wife Lady Chiltern. But when the calculating Mrs. Cheveley appears on the scene, Sir Robert’s marriage, reputation, and promising career are put at risk. With his world about to unravel, Sir Robert turns to his lifelong friend Lord Arthur Goring, the most eligible bachelor in town, to extricate him from the web of lies that seeks to undermine both his public and private honor.
Those auditioning should arrive early to sign-in. Please bring a current headshot and resume with you as well as your calendar. A tentative rehearsal schedule will be posted at auditions and you will be asked to note any conflicts. Script sides will be provided.
All the characters in the play speak with a standard British accent, with the exception of the Vicomte de Nanjac who speaks with a French accent. The director requests that you be familiar with the play and its characters, and that all performers prepare to read in the standard British accent. Please email the production staff at
with any questions about the auditions.
- Sir Robert Chiltern
- 40 yrs., but looks younger. Under-Secretary for Foreign Affairs, a member of English society, and married to the honest and respectable Lady Chiltern. Honest, intelligent and upstanding.
- Lord Goring
- 34 yrs., but only admits to 32. Handsome and clever with a dashing and reckless façade, but with a core of fierce loyalty and wisdom with a penchant for acute analysis of human behavior. A close friend of Sir Robert Chiltern.
- Lady Gertrude Chiltern
- 27 yrs. Sir Robert Chiltern’s extremely beautiful twenty-seven year old wife, champion of the Higher Education of women, a member of the Woman’s Liberal Association, and a moral, upstanding citizen. Loves her husband dearly.
- Mrs. Cheveley
- 27 yrs. A woman on a secret mission. She demands curiosity. Commands a room as soon as she enters. A beautiful work of art, on the whole, but showing the influence of too many schools. Intelligent and conniving.
- Mabel Chiltern
- 20s. Sir Robert Chiltern’s sister. The perfect example of the English type of prettiness. She has the fascinating tyranny of youth and the astonishing courage of innocence.
- Lord Caversham
- 60 and above. Lord Goring’s father, Caversham prides himself on dignity and honor.
- Lady Basildon
- 20s-30s (but will consider older). A lady of high society in London. Mrs. Marchmont’s primary companion at the Chiltern party.
- Mrs. Marchmont
- 20s-30s (but will consider older). A lady of high society in London. Lady Basildon’s primary companion at the Chiltern party.
- Lady Markby
- 55 and above. A pleasant, kindly, popular woman who is friends with Mrs. Cheveley. Very talkative to the point of rambling in a quick and humourous way.
- 40s and above. Lord Goring’s butler, Phipps represents the “dominance of form.” He is known for his complete reticence, making him the “ideal butler.”
- Vicomte de Nanjac
- 20s. A guest at the Chiltern’s party, the Vicomte talks with many of the women and excessively, almost comically, compliments the English language.
- Mr. Montford
- age open. A secretary to Sir Robert Chiltern, also described as a dandy.
- age open. Sir Robert Chiltern's Butler, he announces all guests at the Chiltern home.
- 16-30 yrs. A footman.
- 16-30 yrs. A footman for Sir Robert Chiltern.
To meet the An Ideal Husband production team and learn more about Kentwood Players, the public is invited to attend our general membership meetings, which are free and held on the third Wednesday of each month at
7:30 pm at the Westchester Playhouse located two blocks west of the San Diego Freeway and two blocks north of Manchester at 8301 Hindry Avenue in Westchester, CA 90045.
If you would like to receive information about Kentwood Players
upcoming shows and auditions via email, please submit
your request by clicking here:
Watch this page for further updates.