Kentwood Players will hold open auditions for Sordid Lives by Del Shores
on Saturday, May 17 from 10am-3pm
and Sunday, May 18 from 6-9pm
at the Westchester Playhouse, located at 8301 Hindry Avenue, Westchester, CA 90045.
Production dates are July 11 to August 16, 2014 for a six-week run on Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm
with Sunday matinees at 2pm.
The production is directed by Kirk Larson and produced by Lori Marple-Pereslete and Virginia Mekkelson
by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc.
Sordid Lives premiered in Los Angeles on May 11, 1996 and ultimately won 14 DramaLogue Awards.
The dark comedy about white trash centers on a colorful family from a small Texas town
who must come to grips with the accidental death of the elderly family matriarch
during her clandestine meeting in a seedy motel room with a much younger, married neighbor.
The woman’s family must deal with their own demons while preparing for what could be an embarrassing funeral.
This play is filled with adult situations and language.
Please come to the auditions prepared with headshot and resume. No advance appointment required to audition.
Script sides of monologues and short scenes will be provided at the auditions.
Rehearsal schedule will be posted in the lobby during the audition period, so please bring your calendar to list scheduling conflicts.
For further information or copies of the audition script sides, please email
Cast breakdown: Please note: All characters require a Texas accent.
- 27, The good-looking man on a journey of discovery.
- Late 40s, The drunken distraught legless Vietnam Vet.
- Late 40s, The handsome bartender with secret regrets.
- Mid 40s, The simple man disturbed by what he’s seen.
- Brother Boy
- Late 40s, The Tammy Wynette transvestite.
- Rev. Barnes
- Age Open, The Southern Baptist preacher.
- Bitsy Mae
- Age Open, The guitar playing ex-con singer. Please bring a prepared song and guitar to the auditions.
- Mid 50s, The peacemaker who picked the wrong day to quit smoking.
- Early 40s, The overweight housewife who’s been done wrong.
- Early 50s, Ty's mother. Believes she’s the only one with any sense in this town.
- La Vonda
- Late 40s, Latrelle’s sexy liberal-minded sister.
- Dr. Eve
- The therapist on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
To meet the Sordid Lives production team and learn more about Kentwood Players, the public is invited to attend our general membership meetings, which are free and held on the third Wednesday of each month at
7:30 pm at the Westchester Playhouse located two blocks west of the San Diego Freeway and two blocks north of Manchester at 8301 Hindry Avenue in Westchester, CA 90045.